Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sweet Tooth

With only 1 week left before they go back to school, I took the kids to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield on Monday. The kids have never been to the J.B. Factory and had a great time. We waited about 15 mins for our 40 min tour. The last time I went was on a weekend and they were not making any Jelly Belly's. This time they were making and packing all sorts of candy. I could tell right away that my favorite jelly belly was being made by the smell. (by the way, my favorite is Buttered Popcorn. I know it's weird, but I love it! In fact, when I was pregnant with T, I was so addicted to these! M thought it was so funny!) They were making 3 different flavors when we were there. Besides Buttered Popcorn, they were making Juicy Pear and Lemon and you could smell out each flavor as we walked down the upper hallways of the factory. The tour was very informative and we learned a lot about jelly bellies.
  • The top 3 flavors are very cherry, buttered popcorn (see I'm not weird after all), and licorice
  • They invented blueberry just for Ronald Regan so that he could have a collection of red, white and blue for his election
  • They built a special holder for a jar of jelly bellies in Air Force One that is still used from the 80's.

After the tour, we were able to sample all of the flavors of jelly bellies. The kids had a great time doing this. All 3 of us loved the new Cold Stone flavors especially the Mint Mint Chocolate Chip one. We purchased some jelly flops (jelly belly rejects) and we headed home and out to lunch. After eating a lot of candy, I could feel the sugar rush!


No comments: